Juniper SSL VPN SAM does not work on Mac OS X Lion (10.7)
The reoccurring pattern continues: With every individual new Mac OS X version Apple kills existing VPN solutions for Max OS. This is at least true for Cisco VPN and also for the Juniper SSL PVN.
For the Juniper SSL VPN on Mac OS X Lion (10.7) the symptom for me was that the host checker never was loaded and never came up. The browser would just sit there indefinitely.
To get the Juniper SSL VPN working on Lion I found this solution:
(replicated on this webpage:)
1) Download and install Pacifist from: http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg
2) Download and Mount JavaForMacOSX10.6Update5 from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1360
3) Download and Mount JavaForMacOSX10.7 from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421
4) Launch Pacifist and select Open Package
5) Select the mounted JavaForMacOSX10.6Update5.pkg
6) Hit install, when it prompts always select "Replace"
7) After it is complete, select Open Package and select the JavaForMacOSX10.7.pkg
8) When it prompts select "Replace"
9) You can copy Safari 5.0.5 from SL or if you do not have access to a SL machine
10) Download and mount Safari 5.0.5 from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/Safari5/041-0564.20110413.Fi9pb/Safari5.0.5SnowLeopard.dmg
11) In Pacifist select Open Package and select the Safari 5.0.5 pkg file
12) This time select Extract and place it onto your desktop
13) Go to the Safari5.0.5SnowLeopard folder on your desktop, inside of that you will see an Applications folder, open that and you will see Safari, you can rename this Safari, I named mine Safari 5.0.5 and copy it to your main Applications folder or whereever you want.
14) Launch this Safari and go to About and make sure it says 5.0.5
15) Try your Secure App Manager.
Essentially you need to install the 10.6 Java and the 10.7 Java and downgrade to Safari 5.0.5 (at least 5.1 does not work).
The above description worked for me. I got a couple of error messages saying that files cannot replace folders, but this seems to be harmless. Just continue with 'Replace'.